Thursday, May 22, 2014

The 100 "Writer Sketch Cover" Challenge

Back in September, I was a participant in the birth of what will hopefully be a new trend at conventions: the "writer sketch" cover. I'm bringing it to Cherry Capital Comic Con THIS weekend.




Some backstory: At some point during Cincy Comicon, I wandered over to visit with the face-hiding, Shirley Temple-drinking, uber-talented writer extraordinaire Dirk Manning. Dirk was engaged in conversation with a fine gent by the name of Andrew, who had just commissioned Dirk to write him a short story on one of the blank cover variants that you see released for most major titles these days. I immediately fell in love with the idea, and Andrew officially made it a "thing"- collecting up short stories from writers all over the convention; including one from yours truly. Shortly thereafter, Bleeding Cool picked up the story and ran with it.



The thing about conventions for writers is this: we don't get to really "create" on the spot like artists get to do. Its frustrating to just sit behind a table and "sell" all weekend, so the opportunity to flex some creative muscle is welcomed... and the potential for some cool mashups that would otherwise be unseen are just waiting to be written. Wanna see Spidey team up with the Tick? Done. Experience the thrill of the Joker FINALLY getting the best of Batman? Completely possible. Wish someone would do more with Cloak & Dagger? Now they can. The possibilities are endless, and artist alley is FILLED TO THE BRIM with super talented, independent artists who would LOVE to add a quick visual sketch to your one-of-a-kind short story for an exceptionally reasonable rate (hint, hint to all of my artist friends attending C4 this weekend alongside me). Everybody wins- creators, both of the written word and illustration, can throw down a fun one off and make a little cash to help support their art, and fans own a unique piece of original comics work that no one will ever be able to replicate.


So, here's the challenge: 

100 Writer Sketch Covers. C4 Weekend. How much you pay is up to you. 

The Catch? There's Charity involved.

I will donate 10% of all writer sketch cover commissions, no matter how many I do, to the Walking With Giants Foundation- an organization very near and dear to my friends at the Great Lakes Garrison of the 501st Legion, Cherry Capital Comic Con and the family of my young friend Matthew Litchfield, who passed away last October.

If we hit 50 sketch cover commissions, that number goes to 15%.

If we break 100, it goes to 20%.

You choose how much to pay. Bring me a blank cover, and I will fill it with words. Help me hit my self-abusing goal of 100. Help out a great cause along the way. You know you want to. Then, find one of the MANY talented artists in the "Alley" and make my words look good with some stellar art.

I will post updates on twitter all throughout the show- follow along with me (@RPHumphrey) with the hashtag #100writersketchcovers

What say you? Challenge accepted?

1 comment:

  1. This really is a great idea. I run a comic shop in Madison Heights, and had Charles Soule, Ryan Browne and Mike Costa in for a signing just before Christmas last year. At some point I asked Ryan to do a sketch on a Superman Wonder Woman sketch variant, and what ensued was Charles Soule describing a scenario for Ryan to draw, and then adding dialogue … it was pretty fun!

    ReplyDelete